Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sexy Halloween Costumes - Love It or Hate It?

It’s my favorite time of year. The leaves are breathtakingly beautiful and cobwebs are found in nearly every doorstep. My mind naturally turns to what the heck am I going to wear for Halloween. And it’s this Saturday. Yikes!

I know for a lot of people, dressing up for Halloween has lost its appeal. But for many, the holiday is a great excuse to dress up, live out a fantasy and be someone else for the evening. I'm finding many of the characters and costumes I cherished as a child are made in adult sizes, only with less costume and are more skin revealing.



Glinda, the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz and the name of my tooth fairy, has gotten sexier



Billie Burke as Glina in The Wizard of Oz

On full disclosure, I've never played the part of sexing up my costume. I'm alway afraid I won't be able to pull it off. It also makes me really sad to see a woman my age who would want to be seen in public like they are still on their Spring break. Sure, I get it. It’s fun to role play for the night. But do you find it just a little bit odd for an adult woman to parade around in next-to-nothing, revealing too much skin, just to get noticed? I guess they think if they carry around a cape or a pillow case they'll be fine. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with flaunting a little sex appeal. But what happened to the notion that you shouldn’t reveal too much. Come on, be a little mysterious. I feel sorry for women who feel the need to wear next to nothing and be a fantasy of some of my friends’ children.


But on the other hand I do get those that listen to their inner voice, saying "Go for it, It's Halloween." For some women, it's simply fun to dress up in something completely different and even be liberating from wearing the same thing day after day. It can also build confidence that you're able to pull it off and an opportunity for some women who may never have the chance to act out their wild side.

For sure, woman are creative enough to come up with a Halloween costume that’s a little more respectable. Some of the more clever ones I've seen recently is Crayola crayons, a Hawaiian tourist, a hippy or even a fashionable ghost.

What do you think about wearing sexy Halloween costumes? What will be you on Saturday?



5 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't go for 'sexy' and not because I don't want to. I agree with the can't-pull-it-off mentality. Twenty years ago, maybe. Today? Not so much. My costume of choice this year, had I had the time to pull it together, would be Hogwarts robes. Either following the blue and bronze of Ravenclaw or the Green and Silver of Slytherin. I'm not brave enough to be a Gryffindor. Yes, obviously a huge Potter fan. But my point is...there is NO WAY to sex up a wizard's robe, is there? If I did the whole school girl uni with the grey skirt, the white shirt, the necktie, ok, maybe we could sex it up. But would I want to? I'm not so sure.

    I do know that when I went shopping for the girls' costumes this year, I could have saved half the cost of their costume by succumbing to the "I'm a 7 year old in a 25 year old's costume" with slits to the waist, bare midriffs, and off-the shoulder necklines, but I'd rather spend the money (or if I had the time, I would have made them) on a less revealing costume.

    Fortunately, my 3 year old will be Yoda. Can't get too revealing with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe I'll dress up as sleeping beauty, but only the sleeping part..I think I can pull that one off no problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that there is a shelf life for "sexy bunny," "sexy kitty," or "sexy maid" as a Halloween Costume. This year, try being an ovenmitt...
    Hala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting topic! I think its fine to break out of character once a year and explore your sexy side with a Halloween costume. However, there is a fine line btw sexy and slutty and to often people don't seem to know the difference.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good article, thank you for sharing, I will always look at the future, too talented.

    ReplyDelete